Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bethlehem continues....

Here we are, still in Bethlehem. I'm really glad we had the opportunity to stay here - I do not think you can truly have the full experience unless you stay here, and I have heard from many that it is advised that tourists don't stay here. But so far it has been an intersting experience.
This morning started with a walk down the roads of Bethlehem. We got a little lost, but made it back safely. It was neat to walk by all the shops, seeing everyone busy at work, preparing for the day.
Next, we went to the Christmas Lutheran Church for the service. I was a bit disappointed because I wanted Mitri Raheb to preach, but the service was still good. I love listening to different languages, and it made me wish I knew Arabic. In fact, once we have traveled into the West Bank, I realized that I could no longer use my limited Hebrew knowledge. In Israel, you can sort of guess whether to say "Todah" or "Shukran" when saying thank you. In Palestine, everyone speaks Arabic, so "Todah" does not work. It seems simple, but we have to be really conscious of what we are saying.
I noticed at the end of the service that the benediction was a typical sending - to go out into the world and spread the love of Christ. I thought this was very interesting. Even though this is something used often, usually meaning to share it with our neighbors, it made me realize even more that the members of this church could not actually go out beyond the borders of Bethlehem. I realize it is metaphorical, but it really made me think beyond the walls.
This afternoon we saw the Church of the Nativity, which we were a bit rushed through. Although, the Armenian service was beautiful. Then, we went to the Refugee Camp. There was quite a discussion about this during group this evening, which I will leave you in suspense. But my own thoughts - I think they need space for healing, but it's hard to do in a different land, separated from family. We can give money, we can offer food, but it doesn't solve the problem of the loss of land. It's more than losing land - it's losing all that you know and grew up with.
This evening has been fun and relaxing. It's been nice to hang out in the lobby with friends, chatting and blogging and laughing.
I'm looking forward to our new adventures.
Peace,
K ><>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We attacked your hubby with snowballs tonight :) My whole family. But then we invited him to come play with us, so he and Danica came. It was fun! At the moment I'd say we have inch of snow and it's still coming down!