Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tiberias....

If I ever decide to move here, I think I could make a living as a hotel porter. Megan and I successfully loaded up the bus with Cory and the help of others and the bus driver asked if we had previous experience. Clearly we're professionals :)
We left the Kibbutz and went to Zippori. It was interesting to see and wander around a bit. But my favorite part of the day was going into Nazareth to see the Church of the Annunciation. First, we were rerouted by someone at the church, then when a few of us got inside, the man at the other gate argued with oru guide, Claudia, and tried to lock the other members of the group out of the church. Trisha and Claudia stepped up, and no one was left behind.
The church was gorgeous. So many paintings and depictions of Mary from all around the world. I loved it. Before coming here, I told someone that I felt that Advent was leading up to this trip - preparing me for the journey. I see it more clearly now. I preached in December on the Annunciation and to be at the church was very meaningful for me. I feel Protestants don't talk about Mary enough, and this was a beautiful place for Protesants to be. We also saw some examples of caves that first century people lived in. While this was interesting, and I am not so positive that it was the EXACT place of the annunciation, I still felt very spiritually connected to the place. It was beautiful.
Next, we went to Nazareth Village for an authentic first century meal. It was delicious, and there was HUMMUS. (We even had hummus for breakfast - they even had to go containers - now I have an emergency supply!). The tour of Nazareth Village was not my favorite. Some of it was way too touristy. I am glad I went, but I felt uncomfortable there. I have been sitting in that discomfort and trying to figure out why. It challenged me.
We are now in Tiberias. We have a fabulous view! :) I can see the Sea of Galilee from my balcony.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Maybe tonight I can actually get some sleep....I stayed up laughing too late last night, but it was worth it!
Peace to you all,
K ><>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you all know that it is COLD here. The high tomorrow? 16. Yay... My question is, if it's that cold then why do we not have snow on the ground?!

Sara said...

Katrina,
As I was reading this all I can think of was Mary being passed from bedroom to bedroom. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself.... much love!
Sara

Cassandra said...

This is interesting. Am I seeing a spiritual experience starting to seep into the trip for you?