Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watching from afar...

I wrote yesterday before the inauguration. After writing, it occurred to me that I hadn't mentioned many of the places we visited. I did mention the Russian church, but didn't talk much about it- I'll have to tell you about that when I get back. I didn't mention going to the Garden of Gethsemani. This, unlike some of the places we visit, it thought to be the authentic site, rather than a traditional one. The garden was small, with a few flowers, but some most amazing olive trees. Several of the trees are thought to be 1500-2000 years old. One tree is about 3000 years old. Could Jesus have prayed below that very tree? It is awesome (in the true sense of the word) to think about...

Our group gathered together in the lobby of our hotel to watch the inauguration. It was so exciting! Before Obama was sworn in, as several people were talking about how all of our presidents have been freely elected, I couldn't help but think about how though all of our presidents have been freely elected, our country has also been directly or indirectly in the overthrow of freely elected governments. It makes me sad... I think again about Mitri Raheb's wish that the United States promote its values not only in the U.S. but around the world. Obama's speech addressed, in general terms, these ideas. He talked about extending our values throughout the world through cooperation, about helping our poorer neighbors, and other lovely ideas that give me hope...I am not so naive as to think that everything he says will happen, but the fact that he says things that resonate so deeply with me keep me optimistic. It was wonderful to watch history in the making, and even more incredible to do so from outside the country...

After watching the inauguration, I had the interesting experience of watching Aljezeera English commentary. There were many (deserved) harsh words about the damage our country has done in the Middle East, in Israel and Palestine and one Palestinian commentator talked about what would have to happen for there to be true change in the Israeli/Palestinian situation. Some of what she said was similar to what Raheb had said. I wish I had more time to write, but we have a meeting right now.

Have a wonderful day. I'm sure I'll be writing in the evening.

Peace,
Cory

1 comment:

Shamrocs82 said...

Reading the entry in this blog has made me realize that not everything that the U.S. does is good for other countries. I have realized that Pres. Obama is willing to make decisions and changes that other presidents were not willing to make in order to benefit the U.S and other countries around the world.