Thursday, January 15, 2009

Capernaum and More...

I think I had more of a "spiritual" experience today. No "a-ha" moments - just a general feeling of the presence of God. I realize God is around all the time, but those moments when I truly can feel it and appreciate it are the times I cherish most.
We started the day by going to Sephad and learning about Judaism and Kabalah. This was absolutely wonderful. As I've mentioned before, I love world religions, so this was right up my alley. Our guide, Tova, was wonderful, and I enjoyed hearing her thoughts and opinions.
This afternoon we went to some churches. They were nice, but I really was moved at the place where it is thought that Peter lived, which was right next to the synagogue it is thought that Jesus attended. Jesus may not have walked there, but that doesn't matter to me. To be standing in the synagogue, it was very meaningful for me. I stepped out the door that was distinguished for the women, and sort of imagined what it would have been like to be a first century Jewish woman. I thought of what Mary's life must have been like. How wonderfully awesome and scary it must have been to have been approached by an angel of God.
Today was a peaceful day. I had plenty of time for meditation and didn't feel rushed around. I began the day with watching the sun rise over the Sea of Galilee, and it was wonderful. It reminded me of times spent on the beach with family, sipping coffee and enjoying the sea breeze. It was a great way to start the day.
As I sit and watch the news, I see all the horrible tragedies happening in Gaza. While we don't see the tragedy here, people are talking about it, and we know it's going on. We continually pray for peace, whatever that may look like, because I do not think we can fathom it in our infinite minds, but trust that God will create peace in a way we cannot imagine.
Peace,
K ><>

1 comment:

Barbara Jo said...

Oh, Diana! I am so glad you are on this trip! It was life changing for me and I pray you will have a similar experience.
love and prayers,
Barb Whipple