Monday, January 19, 2009

Bethlehem

Our experiences here in the land of the Bible have been awe inspiring moving. The most memorable experiences of Israel and the West Bank are the people who live here and the hospitality they extend to us.

In Jericho I stood on the sea shore of Galilee where it is believed that Jesus shared a meal with the disciples after his resurrection. The beautiful Primacy of Peter Church is located on the site. I walked along the seashore,  looked at one of the seven springs that are located in that area, picked up the black pebbles scattered along the shore, and gazed out onto the lake. I felt the presence of the saints who have taken this and other pilgrimages of faith before me and I am deeply grateful for my faith journey that responds to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Bethlehem is not a little town anymore! It is a rambling, heavily populated city. Worship was at Lutheran Christmas Church on Sunday morning. The worshippers were of a variety of ethnicities and from a variety of denominations. We spoke in different languages. Early into the service I imagined the death of Jesus and the curtain rending in two to open up the Holy of Holies so that all persons may have access to God. I was moved and grateful to notice that the worship service was testimony that Jesus' work continues in us, the Church, today.

Lastly, at the Church of the Nativity I saw the birthplace of Jesus, and the place where Joseph received the warning from the angel to flee the city to protect the Christ child. While at the church of the Nativity, the Armenian Christians began their celebration of Christmas on Sunday and we had the opportunity to witness the Christmas Eve opening celebration. 




 

No comments: