Thursday, January 8, 2009

Two days away!

Hello, friends,

I wanted to give a quick introduction before writing about the trip. My name is Cory. I am a Spanish and theology teacher at Trinity High School. Before I go on, I need to express my deepest gratitude to the administration at Trinity for allowing me to miss 11 days of school to make this journey. If you are a student or a teacher, you know 11 days is a lot of school to miss and I have gotten nothing but support from people at Trinity. Besides my teaching, I am a student in the Masters in Spirituality program, a joint program between Bellarmine University and the Louisville Presbyterian Seminary. After this class, I will have one more class to go before graduating in May. Outside of teaching and studying, I love to sing, dance, read, garden, run, and, well, many other things. That's enough of an introduction.

It is hard to believe we are leaving in two days. Many people have asked me if I'm worried about going. My worries this week have been making sure I have enough food for my cats (and someone to feed them) and lesson plans for my sub, so I haven't had time to worry about our safety. Really, though, I feel like 1) I have been to many places that some might consider dangerous (the latest being Colombia last summer) and have always come back fine and 2) I have such an amazing support system of people who will be thinking and praying for me and for our group that I can do nothing but trust that we will be safe.

I cannot imagine this trip being anything but utterly amazing. I look forward to sharing the journey (the parts that can be put into words) with you.

No comments: