Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No alliteration today

I decided not to try to be clever with my title today. I'm a bit tired. It's been a great day. For the next couple of nights we're staying in Tiberias and our hotel is right next to the Sea of Galilee. We all have views of the lake (it's not actually a sea) and I think we'll sleep well tonight with the sound of the waves so close...

Today I want to focus on our visit to the Church of the Annunciation in Nazareth. The church is beautiful, with pieces of art (many of which are mosaics and I LOVE mosaics) from every country in the world. The catholic part of the Catholic faith made sense there- I could see it in the diversity of the artwork. Underneath the church is the shrine with the cave where it is said that Mary received the message and said YES! to God about becoming the mother of Jesus. I think what moved me even more than seeing the actual cave was just being there, where so many people had gone before me, and knowing that I was a part of something so much bigger than myself. I took out the necklace with a pendant of Mary blessed by Pope John Paul II that Betsy gave me before I left to wear throughout the trip and I took out the box with prayers and was overwhelmed by the emotion and the connection I felt from the past, in the present, and leading into the future...Amazing doesn't begin to explain it.

On a lighter note (actually a potentially heavier note), the food here has been terrific. We have hummus (one of my all-time favorite foods!) at every lunch and dinner and so many wonderful vegetable choices. Yum, yum, yum! I could eat this food all the time...maybe I need to keep the Mediterranean diet in mind when I plant my garden this spring...

Before signing off, let me thank you all who are reading and who have responded to what I've posted. It's nice to know you are sharing this with me. Signing off for now. Others are waiting to write. More to come...

Peace,
Cory

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw in an older post that you have prayers written that you're carrying around & saying. I mentioned this to Katrina, but a family at my church just lost their 6th grade son in a car accident. The dad was just moved out of critical care and the younger son went home a few days ago. The mother wasn't in the car. The funeral is on Sat. If you wouldn't mind, would you please add a prayer for them and for our church who has now lost 3 children in about 6 months?
Thank you.
-The other Katrina

Mark said...

Cory,

Glad to hear it's as amazing as it sounds. Please keep posting!

I was unable to get a prayer put into your little green box. My oversight and I regret it.

If you get this, please write the following and place it in the Wailing Wall. Thank you.

Dear Lord,
Please cover my sons, Liam Haggin and Grady Robert, with your care. Allow them to find happiness and experience sadness, but always know the joy, hope, and beauty that is in the world. Grant them long and fulfilling lives. I also ask that you show care and love for their mom and my wife and partner, Elizabeth, and that she be rewarded and honored in this life and the next for the amazing person she is.
In love and peace,
Mark Amick

(I don't know if one signs one's name to a prayer)

Thank you so much. Travel safely. And honestly I will want to see your pictures when you return.

Mark

Cassandra said...

And I would thank you, in turn, for posting so faithfully. It is wonderful that we can share this experience with you.

Your experience at the Church of the Annunciation sounds similar to what I feel whenever I take Communion. I'm always overwhelmed, not just by the connection to God, but also by the connection to Christians around the world and through the centuries. It's a moment of awe.
Blessings,
Jenny

Unknown said...

Hey Cor!

I am so glad you sent the blog link to me. Mosaics are AWESOME and some of my favorite parts of seeing the sites around Europe, especially Italy. I can totally relate. There's nothing quite like seeing other people's way of expressing their glory to God. It's pretty awesome.

Be safe and eat some more hummus for me!!

Love,
Tara