Thursday, January 15, 2009

Life Lesson for the trip (so far) . . .

I want to apologize to any of my friends if they have been trying to follow the blog for not responding so much for the first few days. It was quite frustrating to not be able to remember my sign in information and then there was the issue of time management of use of the communal laptop. I did bring mine but at some places internet is a little too expensive. Anyway I am writing today and if anyone has been reading the blog knows that Megan likes to come up with little lifes lessons for the day. Well I have come up with my own life lesson for the trip (so far). If nothing else happens on this trip (which I doubt that will be the case) I have learned that land does not hold the same meaning for me as it does for the Israelis and Palestinians.



Coming on this trip to the Holy Land you can imagine the high expectations (premeditated resentments) that I had for myself and my spiritual growth. I had people commenting that I would probably feel holy just stepping of the plane. Well that has not been the case. In my first few days of travel I was feeling disappointed because I wasn't FEELING this overwhelming presence of God in these holy sites. I was disappointed with myself and was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me. Had I made a mistake by coming? So of course I had to analyze the situation. How is it that I feel more spiritual at home in Louisville, Kentucky than I do here in Israel? This is what I came up with - when I am home I am of service. It is being of service that makes me feel the closest to God. I am here in the holy land but I am just sight seeing, I am not being of service. This reminds me of a prayer that I try and pray every morning, it states: I pray that I may not seek pleasure as a goal but that I will be content with the happiness that comes from doing the next right thing.



This was only intensified when we traveled to the Church of the Annunciation. This church sits over the cave (yes, I said cave) that Mary lived in when the angel Gabriel vistied her with the news of her calling. When I looked in the cave it did not evoke any emotion in me whatsoever. It wasn't until I sat down and thought about what may have occured in that space that made it sacred. It wasn't the land itself but the act that gave meaning to that experience for me. Of course I can say this because as an American I don't have to fight to gain land back that was taken from me or arm myself to protect the borders of my home from the threat of Indiana. That is how I put things in perspective for myself. America fights in wars, but they are far away and are completely absent from my own personal experience unless I turn on the news. For the people of Israel, for anyone who lives in Kentucky (sorry Michelle) that is how it is for the people of this land, if we had to defend our borders from Indiana. It is that close for them. That can't escape it - the threat is knocking on their door. So it is easy for me to say that land has no meaning - I haven't had to risk my life for it.



Last thing for now. Yesterday was amazing. We went to the city of Safed and met with Tova who is a woman and an Orthodox Jew. She explained her faith to us and specifically Jewish Kabbalah. Let me just say that Madonna, Demi, and especially Ashton are NOT really practicing Kabbalah. First you have to be at least 40 years old (not Ashton) and it is only after studing the Torah, Midrash, and the Talmund that you can move on to Kabbalah. There are stages one goes through in establishing their relationship with G-d (I will explain) and Kabbalah is the mystical part, the part that we cannot understand but yet we pursue it anyway. So it is only through extensive study and wisdom that one approaches Kabbalahism.



Well I have to get on the bus but I have so much more to share so I will write later. But after yesterdays experience it has only strengthened my desire to be some sort of religious ambassador so please pray that I get into law school. I am fascinated with other religions especially Judaism and Islam. But the bus is waiting. . .

No comments: