Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Freezing Our Kibbutz Off.....

This morning was quite exciting. We began by walking down the steps of the Bahai gardens. I did not know much about the Bahai faith before coming here but I find it quite interesting. Their concepts of unification and one God in many religions seemed intriguing. It left me asking more questions, which is always a good sign. After hearing all these wonderful things about the religion, I kept wondering, “What’s the catch?” There seems to be a catch in every religion, even in Christianity. While I think I found some catches that bothered me, I still think there was so much Christians can learn from the Bahai faith.
While the gardens were beautiful, it did concern me that they used so much water in a state that is suffering from drought. It made me think about how we do that in Christianity - we often spend money and time decorating sanctuaries or making bigger churches when we could be using our money differently. Also, in the shrine, there is the remains of the Bab. It made me wonder, if Jesus had not been resurrected, what would Christians have done to enshrine his body? The Bahai idea of unity and equality for all humans seemed appealing to me.
Next, we went to Akka. Usually I am not so interested in the Crusades but to actually see these massive buildings was very beautiful. This time there were no recreations - it was all sustained and preserved.
Lunch was interesting. Guess what I had - more hummus! While Megan noted that hummus is the appetizer, today it was the main dish for me. The options were meat on a stick (which was a bit questionable, even for those who were not vegetarians) and fish, which I also don’t eat (and that was questionable for some of the vegetarians). So, since those were the options, I opted for hummus, which has continued to be the best part of the meals thus far (except for maybe the baklava).
After lunch we visited a mosque, and then found our way to the Kibbutz. The Kibbutz has been interesting. Nothing like I expected. We are limited to technology, which is probably a good thing. However, since we are trying to keep you all up to date, Megan and I are outside in the freezing cold posting these for you. Everyone typed their blogs up inside, but the WiFi can only be used in/by the Kibbutz office. Since the office is closed, we are out front, blogging away. (Hence the title). The first few days we were here the weather was quite warm. The further north we go, it obviously became colder. We're looking forward to going back south to Jerusalem. :)
Tomorrow we travel to Tiberias!
Peace,
K ><>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.