Monday, January 12, 2009

Not Yet Exhausted....

So, one would think I would be exhausted after getting almost no sleep on the plane, waking up at 330am, and wandering around all day, but amazingly I'm still sharp as a tack! We'll see how long this will last...
Today was our first full day of adventure. We seemed to travel quite a bit of ground. First we visited Joffa, which was a neat old city, but a bit more touristy than I expected. Next we went to Cessarea. I loved seeing the old architecture and hearing the stories. I'm sure I have heard this history before, but it's wonderful to hear about it and be there at the same time. At Herod's palace ruins, our tour guide explained that there was probably more there to be excavated, but it is not being touched so no one argues over it. Part of me thinks this is silly - we should know more! Part of me thinks this is brilliant - just let it be - we need not enshrine everything. I'm torn between the two. It was a bit disappointing at times, though, because while some of the architecture was real, some had been reconstructed to just make it look like it had wayback when. But, so goes it.
Next we went to Haifa for lunch (someone may have to cut me off from hummus...) and have been here since. It doesn't sound like we did much - but we walked so much, hearing all sorts of history. Perhaps it has not yet sunk in that I am here, but nothing has really stood out to me yet. Believe me, I'm not bored! But it seems everyone is so interested in a spiritual experience. While I don't doubt many people feel those here, I at first did not even consider that. Then, I thought - hmm...spiritual pilgrimage....sounds good to me. I guess I signed up more for the history and education of it, not really thinking of the spiritual side. So, I came in with little expectation of it. However, I feel that expectation has been built up. It is only day two - I'm sure the spirituality will come. I also think I still struggle with the idea of land belonging to a group and being holy. This, of course, is probably coming from my Western perspective. I have much to learn. I'm just having a hard time understanding the concept and how this land is holy, but assuming that other land is not holy? Some interesting things to think of....I'm sure I wil continue to ponder.
On a completely unrelated note - in Joffa today, we were trying to avoid the birds that were flying above. Unfortunately, we were hit with a bird torpedo. Katrina, I'm sorry to say that your backpack was the target of the bird dung...but don't worry - I cleaned it up! :)
Having a great time, but missing you all.
Peace,
Katrina ><>

3 comments:

gcl said...

Following the blog as a former seminary intern, Diana Moore, is traveling with y'all. I'm a pastor in Shepherdsville who has had the opportunity to travel over there twice. I get your comment about waiting for the spiritual moment to hit. It makes sense that arriving in Tel Aviv and then moving along the coast it doesn't seem all that spiritual. Tel Aviv always felt to me like I could be in a US city in a lot of ways. I think you are right, the spiritual moment will come and probably as a bit of a surprise or a "that was kind of...what's the word I'm looking for...spiritual". There is not a whole lot more conducive to that sort of thing than an early morning walk along the Sea of Galilee before the structured stuff gets going or any time in the Old City of Jerusalem. Don't get too caught up in the "this was the site where whatever happened". That can become a bit like spiritual Disney. Places like the Sea of Galilee though, it doesn't matter what the site is, it's a place where Jesus could have stood and taken a look at pretty much the same scenery you are looking at. That's kind of cool. I'd also suggest kind of doing some thing you might not normally do - for instance I'm not a big candle lighting person, but I found myself finding meaning in lighting candles in some of the churches that we stopped in on our visit. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Haha! No problem :)

Just to keep you updated with the goings on back here, Danica barked at me when I went to walk her today, but after I came in the door and started petting her, we were cool again!

Helen said...

Hey Katrina - when I was there I was far more interested in the geopolitical/historical stuff. A prof at Western Seminary told me that you either find your faith or lose it in the Holy Land.

I found spirituality in unexpected ways - the monk who blocked the Israli army folks from entering one of the churches saying "this is the house of God - there is no place for violence here" winning his argument by placing his small self (about 5'5") in the way of the army folks...they backed off
- the Palestinian Christian (who's family's banner has hung in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre for thousands of year) who spoke of his abiding faith in spite of having lost his land to an Israli settlement.
-when you get back ask me about the little Muslim boy at the mosque in Acre.

Don't let religiosity get in the way of seeing the truly Holy...all some of these places need are blinking lights and vendors offering "a piece of the real cross." Those aren't Holy things...holy is looking from the Mount of Olives down into the Kidron Valley and across to the Dome of the Rock at sunrise and seeing the golden gate through which Christ passed...imagining a place somewhere outside the city wall where the crucifixion took place - breathing in the air in the hills outside Bethlehem...

I'm preaching...be safe.

Hugs - Aunt Helen