Saturday, January 17, 2009





















Friends, we are currently in Bethlehem getting ready to go to church. We left Qumran yesterday and visited the cave were the Dead Sea scrolls were found. It over look the Dead Sea and it's such a beautiful sight.  I for once mustard the courage and swam in the Dead Sea. It was so salty and even though i knew I would not sink I still was afraid of getting in the water only for a friend John to hold my hand and walk me into it. After I got into it I was okay. As soon as we got out of the water the whole body turn white as the salt dried on our body.

Before Qumran we had been to Herod's palace in Masada. I was not so much afraid of height, taken the rail up there did not bother me. Standing on top of the mountain overlooking the Dead Sea was such a spectacular sight. As much as Christians do not have much connection sends the message that our visit is not solely based on visiting Christians sights alone but absorbing the history of the entire region as much as we can.

Well, there is nothing fancy to talk about of our current hotel after leaving a 5 star hotel in the Jordan valley and coming here this hotel  seems like a 1 star hotel. But the thought that came into view in light of this hotel is that, we have been so fortunate to even have a shower in a comfortable hotel, we have a bed to sleep on, we have to TV to watch and listen to news, and we have been blessed with lights to light our path to our rooms, the people of here most of them do not have it as we had or do have. Driving here there was indications of tents, people living nomads lives, people in the Gaza area who have their lights and water cut off. With this perspective in mind our current situation is admirable. What do we therefore have to complain about, absolutely nothing! 

Today we visit the Church of the Nativity as well as a refuge camp. As I wrote in my previous blog I will send pictures. Now enjoy these pictures from yesterday. 

No comments: